Make your way to De Krans Wine Cellar in Calitzdorp for the annual Spring Blossom Festival which takes place over the weekend of 2nd and 3rd September. This time of the year the fruit trees, in particular the apricot and peach trees, are in full bloom and it is truly a sight to behold. The spring blossoms traditionally indicate the start of the season for the fruit and wine industries.
Visitors to De Krans will be able to experience this beautiful sight for themselves as well as enjoy a few more exciting offerings during their visit:
- Kickstart your Saturday at 9am with the Vineyard Run. Jog or walk through the vineyards whilst admiring the breathtakingly beautiful orchards in full bloom. Participants can choose between a 5km or a 10km trail. Enter on the day at De Krans from 8:30am. A superb selection of wine prizes are up for grabs for various categories. The fun run will only take place on the 2nd
- Take a leisurely stroll through the orchards to admire the beauty of the magnificent blossoms. The perfect opportunity to capture the splendour of Spring. Fantastic wine prizes will be up for grabs for the best photographs taking at De Krans during the weekend. The added attraction is that this year the winner will win his/her weight in De Krans port and wine!
- Plant and adopt your own young vine, at R20 per vine. All these funds received will be donated to the Hope Options Centre in Calitzdorp. You can plant as many vines as you want to, and advance booking for this vine planting experience is essential, which will only be taking place on Saturday, 2 September at 11am.
- Browse at leisure through the market at De Krans, which will be open to the public on the 2nd September only, from 10am, where the focus will be on Spring inspired goods. These include indigenous plants and trees, herbs, homemade products, freshly baked bread, as well as unique wines from other local boutique wine producers.
- Outdoor fun can lead to working up a healthy appetite and what better excuse than to enjoy a hearty country style meal in the comfort of the De Krans Bistro & Deli, which will be open throughout the weekend from 9am to 4:30pm. Unfortunately no reservations will be taken on the day, so come early to avoid missing out on a delicious brunch or lunch.
- A new attraction this year is the unique Calitzdorp High Tea, which will be available only on Sunday, 3 September, from 11am. Not your average High Tea, but certainly the perfect excuse to sip, sample and savour superb ports paired with delectable treats. The cost is R90 per person and booking is essential.
- While at the farm use the opportunity to taste the entire range of recently released 2017 white wines, which include a Chenin Blanc, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinotage Rosé and the very popular Moscato Perlé.
- Concluding what promises to be a weekend of fun and festivities is the De Krans Cocktail Hour on Sunday, 3 September from 12pm. The perfect excuse to sample some interesting port based cocktails, unique to De Krans.
This year the winner of the Photographic Competition will win his/her weight in De Krans wines and port.
The perfect family day out at De Krans in Calitzdorp, situated only 30 minutes drive from Oudtshoorn. For more information and bookings contact Bessie Swanepoel on 044 213 3314 or email email@example.com.